- The contractor is not licensed and/or insured.
- He can’t provide you with a list of satisfied customers.
- The contractor will only accept cash payments.
- The contractor solicits business door-to-door. (This is often accompanied by high pressure sales tactics, intimidation, and threats.)
- You can’t verify the contractor’s name, address, phone number or credentials.
- You are asked to buy the building permit.
- The contractor asks you to pay for the entire job up front.
- Check with the local Home Builder’s Association for an approved list.